Friday, June 4, 2010

BYU vs. SUU Part 1: Thou Shalt Not Sin

I mentioned earlier that I thought it would be interesting to compare the two universities I've experienced thus far in my life. I was going to pull out a bulleted list expressing my thoughts on each school...But I have realized that I have LOTS to say about this. So. This is the beginning. The beginning of a series of posts expressing my thoughts on each school. It should be interesting. For all of us. And thus it begins.

BYU vs. SUU Part 1: Thou Shalt Not Sin

Now, it is quite obvious that BYU has...different standards than SUU. And by different, I mean higher. I mean everyone knows about the strict honor code (like how you can't even go to the bathroom at a guy's apartment because the moment you descend into the abyss that is the more private area of living, more specifically, the bathroom, you will be tempted to fornicate). SUU has basic rules-like no alcohol on campus...but nothing as strict as BYU.

To each their own, yeah?

However, it seems that no one breaks rules. Period. Even rules that aren't specifically stated. Like, no one cuts across the lawn to more efficiently get from point A to point B. Also, I've noticed that no one crosses the street unless they are at a cross walk and the walking guy symbol is up. Forget about the fact that there are zero cars present-crossing without that walking guy's okay-is unforgivable. Trust me, I find myself pretty capable at knowing when it's okay to cross and when I might get run over if I do. So, I'll cross if it's clear, regardless of whether or not the walking guy is coaxing me forward. And when I do this, people stare. And no one ever follows me. I've only seen 2 other people cross "illegally" in the month that I've been here.

I'm convinced that this is directly related to a conversation a professor struck up in my driving class. The first week that I started work, I was sent off to a driving course where we spent two hours listening to a guy tell us not to text and drive, which I already knew, haughty as it may sound. But half way through the lecture the professor stopped talking for a second then said, "You know, during your temple recommend interview, your bishop asks you if you obey and adhere to the laws of the land. If you speed, are you really worthy of that recommend? Just something to think about."

And maybe, you know, I'm not worthy...because this morning I was going 65 mph over Ironton Hill-a 55 mph zone-along with the majority of the other-very likely LDS-drivers I was around.

Anyway, the point is that people here at BYU follow the rules. More than me. And it very well may be due to the constant guilt trips these kids are getting during their driving courses. However, I will not judge. In fact, I give kudos to those people who so ardently obey the walking guy.

But I'm pretty sure that I'm still going to cross when I deem it safe. And I'll probably cut across the grass too, you know, if not too many people are watching.

2 comments:

Zachary said...

Hooray! Another blog to stalk!

Loving the BYU vs. SUU commentary. Keep it up!

whitney said...

Ooo, so true, so true! All of it! white bread. so, so white bread.