Friday, June 11, 2010

BYU vs. SUU Part 2: Orch Dorks and Choir Queers

Another thing I've noticed while perusing BYU is the abundance of nerds.

This is a terribly awful thing to say, especially considering the fact that I don't really know know many people on campus. However, just walking around you can sense the generally dorkiness. Now, clearly, BYU doesn't consist entirely of a population of pocket protector-wearing geeks. But let's just say that the number of men I see sporting parted missionary hair is way too high. And conversations I overhear walking across campus can be pretty ridiculous. And nerdy paraphernalia abounds.

Don't think I'm being a hater-because I'm not. In fact, my high school years were filled with friends who were orch dorks and choir queers and an occasional band geek (there weren't too many because the band at SHS is reminiscent of a cult...no one really said it-but we all knew it). I was one of those choir queers (though, not a true one-I was in and out of choir throughout the years and I finally quit halfway through my senior year (best decision ever)-oh-and I refused to sing on the bus-clearly, I am not a true choir queer...but I digress).

So, yeah. Nerds and IQs abound here are BYU.

And, speaking of choir queers, such is the epitome of SUU. Just kidding. Kind of.

Hold on...I feel a random tangent that I must get out before I continue: Okay, so lots of people assume the SUU is only for theater majors...but its NOT. There are plenty of other majors at SUU. That is why it's a university...get it? Yeah, I thought so.

Okay. Now that everyone is aware that SUU is, in fact, a real college, we can discuss SUU's thespianism. SUU lives in the same town where the Shakespearean Festival is held. Thus, Cedar City is filled with copious amounts of drama loving people. And that is one thing I notice on campus quite often. Whether it's the outrageously planned costumes at the institute's themed dances or the people singing at the top of their lungs (and to/by themselves, mind you) as they walk across campus, you can tell that you're in Festival City, USA.

Again, having choir going friends through high school, I'm actually quite used to random bursts of song.

Anyway. I don't which one is better-geeks or thespians. But that's the difference. And thus it is.

5 comments:

Zachary said...

First - Nice use of the word "Copious"

Second - I thought everyone lived in an episode of Glee, where people randomly start singing, everyone knows the words...and the choreography.

I didn't know that was exclusive to Cedar. But it makes sense.

Sarah Jane said...

This post makes me laugh, Kim. Yay Orch Dorks!
But this post is true... the missionary hair doesn't HAVE to be worn every day, contrary to some people's beliefs. And not all boys look good in it, anyway.
I can't really make fun of BYU having nerds, mostly because of the over-abundance of super engineering nerds at USU. But don't worry, I believe that SUU is a real university, even if it is only for theater majors (snicker snicker).

Just kidding.

whitney said...

One of the most startling BYU-esque things I noticed when I started there was how dressed up everyone seemed to be all the time. I guess I was just used to a whole lot of yoga pants and t-shirts at OSU. Humerously, Spencer noticed the same thing (my uber-casualness) when we we dating and then the generalness of that look when we moved to Oklahoma.

Sorry, long story, I guess what I'm wondering is if it's a BYU thing or a SUU/BYU/Utah thing in general.

Kim said...

Whitney-I'm pretty sure that the business attire is mostly BYU. I have a friend at work who says that when she moved to BYU she basically reworked her whole wardrobe to make it more business like. SUU is super chill-the majority of people dress in casual clothes. And you see plenty of sweats at SUU. I think if someone wore sweats at BYU, they'd be glared at all day long. But, that's just what I've noticed.

Unknown said...

As a BYU alum, I feel the need to comment. I atended both BYU and Oklahoma State - very different schools. I fully agree that there is a very business type dress at BYU, and when you get that many polo shirts and missionary haircuts being worn by people it looks nerdy. One thing that you did not touch on is that there seems to be a inverse corrolation between facial hair gospel testimony - an interesting BYU phenomenon.