Monday, June 28, 2010

ROAD TRIP!!!

So, once upon a time, my cousins-Mary and Anna-and I decided to take a road trip. Our awesome cousin Hailey is going to school at BYU-I in Rexburg and we thought it might be fun to hit it up some weekend. So we packed our duffel bags, mooched milk and cereal from Aunt Gretchen (not to mention a tank of gas), and set out on our wonderful journey.

The terrible traffic finally cleared up past Logan-ish. And the rest of the trip went smoothly (*cough* minus A. the time when Mary had to slam on her brakes in order to stop her car from careening into the car in front of us that had stopped-not slowed down, mind you-but just suddenly stopped and B. the time that Mary was driving on the wrong side of the road at like 10mph and another car was coming our way *cough.*) But really. It was a pretty awesome drive, despite the near deaths and the fact that we spent an extra hour in the car due to the horrific traffic.

Now, as is understandable, we were a little worried about the trip. I mean, it's Idaho. Like, when you think Idaho you think potatoes. And, I mean, I'm all for potatoes. Really, I love them. But a whole state that has no other identifiable assets? Yeah. We were a bit distressed about how this was going to turn out. And we were going to the heart of a college campus. And not just any college campus-but BYU-I. The place where you go if you are too righteous for BYU Provo. And, apparently, too desperate for Provo, as was made obvious by this lovely sign situated on the first apartment complex we saw upon arriving:

But-not to worry-Hailey lived in the apartment next to the above monstrosity. Also lucky for us, we have an awesome and a half cousin who got the party going before we even walked in her door. We went straight to a drive-in-theater. I barely missed the drive-in-theater craze in my youth-so the one and only drive in movie I have ever attended played Zorro and The Parent Trap. This time, we were apparently on a Cameron Diaz marathon-because we watched Knight and Day and Shrek Forever After.


***Movie critique: I didn't think Day and Knight deserved all the awesome ratings it has been getting. Shrek was funny...but I don't know if I would have enjoyed it if it weren't 1 in the morning***

On Saturday we went garage saling and then to DI. I purchased a most fabulous purse for the most fabulous price of 1 dollar (Bob, one dollar! okay, sorry). And, I regret to inform you, that I also tried this epic wedding dress-with poofy sleeves, mermaid cut, ruffles-we're talking about the ninety's works- but the camera I took on the trip had no memory left on it and had no batteries left (I'm super prepared)-sorry (p.s. thanks mary-I stole these photos from your facebook). You're missing out. I promise. But we also went to this little boutique that had these cute hair things. When we saw them we said, "Those are super cute. But we could totally make that." So we reached deep (some had to reach deeper than others) for that crafty side and ravaged the local Wal-Mart to create these:
All that churning of creative juices made us starving so we went to the Teriyaki Grill. We ordered 2 plates for 5 people and still couldn't finish it. That's how much food they served. And it was delish.

Next on the agenda was traversing through these wicked sah-weet ice caves. It was like Nutty Putty cave mixed with Spooky-the slot canyon-but in the arctic. I was soaked to the bone...and being soaked in jeans is quite uncomfortable. So the bonfire with s'mores after the hike was especially fan-freaking-tastic.

In the morning on Sunday we went to church...Okay, it was just the sacrament meeting portion and I had to pinch myself to stop me from falling asleep because of all the partying of the weekend. After that we had to say goodbye. The drive home was still awesome, but much less...exciting...in regards to death. Anyway. Awesome weekend.
I LOVE MY COUSINS!

3 comments:

marynott said...

Kim- if you would like everyone to see you in that magnificent dress... don't worry I still have the pictures...

whitney said...

So much fun! yay! for cheap purses and yay! making your own fabulous head decor!

Zachary said...

Wow...I am glad to see that females in this family know how to road trip properly.