Monday, April 30, 2012

This is Where it's Going Down

I was going to apologize for writing another wedding related post but then I decided that this whole deal is only going to happen once so write I will.

Since Ben and I started talking about getting married, the big question has been
Where?

And y'all know that what with me being a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, it wasn't so much a matter of Where? but of
Which temple?

I am a freak of a girl. I'm pretty sure that as girl protocol goes, you must have your temple chosen out no less than 10 years before you plan on sealing the deal. I fail. I have never ever been entirely drawn to one temple in particular. I have never had my temple.

Let's be honest:
They are all beautiful. 
And the same thing happens in all of them.

Anyhow. I finally decided on the Provo temple for several different reasons. But usually when I tell people this is the temple of choice, they scoff and look completely incredulous.

So I figured I would share exactly why we decided on Provo.

#1. It's close and stress free

It takes me 10-15 minutes to get there. I don't even have to get on the freeway. Bargain. And, as proven by Tairsa Brown, after turning onto Main Street in Springville it is completely possible to get to the temple without coming to a complete stop. Ever.

#2. The wedding party and I will not be treated like cattle

No one is going to say that the Salt Lake temple is ugly. Because it just simply isn't. It's gorgeous. But people will say that brides and grooms who get married there are treated like cattle. Complete with numbers instead of names. Now, I obviously haven't been married there, but these are the rumors I've heard. Not to mention the fact the photographers get into fights for picture locations. Added stress on the wedding day? No thank you.

Compare that to the Provo temple. Hardly anyone chooses to get married in the Provo temple. Results? Temple workers love you if you get married there and they treat you like royalty. Smooth day with zero fights over locations. Good deal.

#3. The Provo temple looks like a fountain

Ben was really surprised when I told him that nobody gets married in the Provo temple. I told him most people think it's outdated/ugly. "Really?" he asked. "But it looks just like a fountain."

And so it does. Observe:
 Temple
Fountain
(images found here and here)

#4. The Background

I think the Provo temple's grounds are some of the prettiest. I think they are trying to make up for the structure by keeping the grounds extra beautiful. In the spring and summer they've got all sorts of flowers blooming. Not to mention the gorgeous mountains in the background. Love those.
See? So pretty. (image found here)

Anyway. For those reasons plus some others I won't expound on, that's why I'm getting married in the Provo temple. You can still judge me. But at least now you are informed.


4 comments:

whitney said...

I love Ben's comment about the fountain! It's so true, but I never even noticed it!

I totally see where you're coming from...who needs more stress on their wedding day?

Oh, and I was a freak too. No "this is the place" temple moment for me either.

Sarah Jane said...

First of all, *I* want to get married in the Provo temple. It's the one I'm most familiar with and I think it's quite special. (Not to mention it's close and less of a hassle.) I'm glad you picked the Provo temple, because I really love it.
Second of all, the significance behind the design (pillar of fire/cloud) is pretty deep.
Thirdly, I do love the grounds.
Fourthly, I support your decision. A lot.

Ooh Kim, I'm so excited for you!

Sarah Jane said...

Also, I must add:

People should feel ashamed for scoffing at the thought of getting married in the Provo temple. A temple is a temple, and the covenants are what are important, not the location of the temple.

Taylor said...

I perfectly agree with you Kim. :) I STILL have not decided on my temple, so you've beat me! But I have definitely thought of all the above reasons and will take it into severe consideration. :) It's a beautiful temple, and I have such love for it. My grandpa worked there for the longest time, and so I grew up calling it "Grandpa's Temple." I think this is a wonderful choice.