Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Feliz Navidad!

My institute teacher was quoted in the last post and here he will be quoted again. He said,
"'Feliz Navidad' is the worst Christmas song ever."

Yeah, he really said that. Can you believe it? Neither can I. I am pretty freaking sure that 'Feliz Navidad' is one of the best Christmas songs out there. Seriously. I mean, I know that it repeats itself like fifty times. But how else are you going to be prepared to wish a Spaniard a merry Christmas?

Yeah. That's right. You wouldn't be prepared. (unless, of course, you were fluent in espanol...but that is clearly beside the point).

So, whether or not you are a Spaniard, I am here you wish you un Feliz Navidad (aka: a merry Christmas).

(almost unrelated: I am adamant that the worst Christmas song is 'Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer.' Seriously. It sucks)

Anyway. Here you can share in a couple of my lovely Christmas-y festivities.

First to be reported is that the neighbor boys from Cedar (I've mentioned them several times) actually got a for real Christmas tree. Seeing as how my roommate Amanda and I are the only semblance of a stylish influence on them, we begged to help them decorate the tree. Of course, they said yes (I'm pretty good at getting my way over there). So we went to the dollar store and made Mike, Cale, and Ty purchase ornaments and a star. The tree was looking pretty good when we were done. Unfortunately, I don't have a decent, picture of the tree. But just trust me, it was beautiful.

But we couldn't let the boys get away with having such a gorgeously decorated tree in their house, knowing that we'd never get the credit. So I made Mike buy one tacky element.
And they were just that. Pure tackiness. Barf inducing really. But truly the best part of the tree.

The other festivity I'll feel you in on is the White Elephant Christmas Party our ward held. I'm pretty sure that White Elephants can only be awesome. I mean, seriously. We had some awesome gift out there. Our limit was one dollar. Some people gave coloring books, others gave a week supply of Top Ramen. One girl wrote out a check for $1.01. People got pretty creative. However, I am completely convinced that I got the best gift.

At first, I had no idea what it was. But then someone told me that it was a toilet seat cover. And thus our bathroom was remodeled into a wintery wonderland.
And the best part is when the lid is up...
Awesome!

It was made by the Grandma of a girl who lives across the street from me.
And that's the story of how I started my Christmas decorations.
And the story of how I discovered how to spend my time when I become a Grandma.

Anyway. I really hope that everyone has a muy fantastico y feliz Navidad!

In closing, I will share with you the Christmas song that is probably my favorite ever.
Enjoy!

7 comments:

marynott said...

Worst Christmas song in my opinion: Grown up Christmas list. Hate. it. Best Christmas song in my opinion: Every other Christmas song that isn't Grown up Christmas List. love. them.

Kelsey said...

WRONG. It's Christmas Shoes. Hands down.

But if you like that song, then the next worst one is Mary Did You Know.

Sarah Jane said...

I definitely agree with Kelsey- that Christmas Shoes song is atrocious. TERRIBLE.

I love White Elephant so much. I like the check idea though. Or even a fish-shaped picture frame with a picture of me dressed as a cat lady...

Sarah Jane said...

I forgot what I was actually going to say before I saw Kelsey's comment...
my ringtone is Feliz Navidad. I love that song.

Kim said...

Amen. The Christmas shoes song makes me barf.

Kelsey said...

I love Feliz Navidad. It makes me feel like I can speak Spanish.

Because I CAN. I ordered a burrito at Abuelo's Taco Shop before. You have to speak Spanish for that.

Zachary said...

Actually...the best Christmas song ever is, "I Eat Chinese Food For Christmas"...look it up on YouTube :)