Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ode to the Wisdom That Hath Befallen Me

Last Saturday just so happened to be my birthday. Exciting? Yes. Disgusting? More so. "Why?" do you ask? It is because I am now officially an adult. I've passed successfully through my teenage years never to see them again. I've lived one fifth of a century. I've made my way through all good songs with reference to age. I will never again be able to sing along to "Dancing Queen" by ABBA. I know that it's "seventeen-" but, honestly, it is just so easy to substitute 18 and 19 too. But you can't go around belting "young and sweet only...twenty!" That sounds so dumb. Also, my body is definitely feeling the toll. They say your metabolism doesn't slow down until you're 35 or something. But I'm pretty sure that my body is not the same as it was when I was 18...of course, I was on cross country/track during that time...but...you get the picture.

Yes, life is changing. However, those people -the one's who said the thing about metabolism-I think they also said that with age come wisdom. And, obviously, this is true. I mean, how in the crap could I have come up with such an eloquent title if I was still 19? Yeah-that's right.

Okay. So, now I have to make this post have a point. And I have a good story to accentuate my gained knowledge. Here it is:

As you all know, I moved back to Cedar about a week and a half ago. It is pretty intense, I must say. Anywho...the single's ward that I am now in is pretty freaking rad. Really. It rocks. At our first FHE I was getting to know a couple new people-all of whom were quite awesome. There was this certain boy who I had met at church a day earlier. He's super cute and funny and fun to talk to. What's a girl suppose to do beside flirt? So we were busying ourselves flirting when he decided to ask the dreaded question.

"So, how old are you?" He asked. As this was before my birthday, I told him I was 19.

He seemed to contemplate this for a moment. "When's your birthday?" He continued. I told him that it is August, 28th, "so, I'm almost twenty," in case he couldn't do the math (I know, I'm so helpful).

"Oh," he said.

"How old are you?" I was just returning the favor.

He stammered around a bit before he answered, "I'm seventeen."

Yeah, and I later found out that his birthday is like July or something-so he's NEWLY seventeen.

Anyway, this experience has given me gobs of wisdom, obviously. Like how I shouldn't go and flirt with every cute boy who turns the corner.

But at least he is still able to sing that wonderful ABBA song.

3 comments:

marynott said...

BAHAHA Kim, that was one good post. I have made the mistake of thinking boys were older than they were, it is pretty embarrassing. As for the songs, just look forward to your 21st birthday. I have a beautiful song for that.

whitney said...

you make me laugh :)

Did I tell you that on your last post? Well, if I did, it's still true.

Goodness, I can't believe you're twenty! That's insane!

As for the ABBA song, the key is not the "teen-ness" of it, it's the 3 beat thing. Try it out w/23, it's particularly good.

Oh, and about that boy, I say go ahead and flirt with them. It'll make all the other boys jealous, ya know, the ones that count ;) Not to mention you can just chalk it up to following it in your big brother's footsteps.

Zachary said...

Flirt away! The prophet says that 16 is old enough to date...so do i!

Don't worry...you are still a young spring chick in the big world. You will have PLENTY of more embarrassing stories to look forward to!

Love ya Cuz!