Friday, September 10, 2010

Some Mucho Bueno Music For You!

At the beginning of this week my roomies told me about this concert that was coming up on Thursday (as in, yesterday). They told me about how they had gone last year and about how it was SOOOO good. I told them I'd come along with them...cause, you know, I am pretty pro at procrastinating my homework these days. However, yesterday I realized that the concert was FIVE DOLLARS. I mean, seriously: I am a college student. I am poor. I can't afford FIVE DOLLAR concerts to bands I have never heard of! Really! But as I contemplated my various options, I realized that going to a concert and procrastinating would be far more entertaining than being good and studious. So I went. And I will tell you what, it was AMAZING. Seriously-so so good. The first dude who played was kind of nasally, so I was skeptical, but the second and third bands got up there and I was blown away with their delicious tunes. I am such a kind soul that I have decided to share their deliciousness with you guys. You don't even have to pay me back.

The first (good/delicious) band was J.Wride. I know, what kind of name is that? But they rock. They've got a guy on the bass, a guy on the drums and a singer dude on the piano. The drummer was insane good. Like, I personally think that most drummers in most bands are just there because they are full of angst and drumming is a healthy way to release such angsty feelings. But this guy was incredible. I didn't know you could be so passionate about playing the drums, but he was. It was beautiful in a hard core way, you know (I don't know if rock bands use words like "beautiful"). Then there was the bassist. Ugh. This guy was super good too. I've never really thought about it, but I think that playing the bass would be outrageously difficult. It's so big. And long. And the strings are spread apart. But the guy last night made it look so easy peasy. And the singer/pianist. Oh my goodness, his fingers were working lightning speed. And when he opened his mouth, I fell in love. His voice was so...so...gorgeous and controlled (trust me, I sing and I know). Anyway. I could only find one really good video on the YouTube but it is a really good one, so I will share it with you. Plus it's short, which is always a bonus. (Sorry it is being cut off by my formatting...I am not skilled enough to know how to fix it.)



The next band that played was John Allred. Okay, so it's this guy who sings and plays the guitar and then I guess about year ago he thought it would be cool to find himself a band for a few of his songs. The band was super good (minus the guitarist who always stood with his back facing us as if he thought we all wanted to take a look at his not attractive rear end). But when John Allred played acoustic by himself without the band, that was where the magic was. He is so talented. It was super awesome. So he's got lots of original stuff but he did a couple of covers for us too and the one that you HAVE GOT TO see is his cover of U2's "With or Without You." It was insane. He does all the instrumentals himself by recording a bunch of stuff and in this movie you can see him do all of it. I know it is 5 minutes long, but it is worth it-really it is so awesome. If you are crunched for time, though, skip to 3:15 (ish) cause that is where he yells into his guitar and it is freaking rad. Trust me, totally worth it.



So that is the story of how I spent five dollars on something that was totally worth it. And you can all thank me later for sharing such beautiful talent with you.

You're very welcome.

5 comments:

marynott said...

dude. John allred is so cool yeah? did i tell you about my friends 18th birthday party? He played for them! It was so wonderful

Kim said...

That's so awesome! did you go? I'm jealous for sure.

Zachary said...

Sounds like you got your money's worth.

whitney said...

Ooo, very, very bueno! I loved them both. It was so cool to see John Allred break down With or
Without You like that.

Did you know that With or Without You is Spence's and my song? Ahhh, cheesy ;)

Max Power said...

You should talk to Bridgett. She's photographed J. Wride a couple times when they've played/

http://1963photography.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/liveconcertpictures/

http://1963photography.wordpress.com/2009/11/01/halloween-concert-spanish-fork-utah/