Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Festivity

One of my goals this year was to make more festive and seasonal decorations for the house. One of Ben's sisters is a pro at this. Every month inspires a reworking of her decor. It's not just a wreath on the door. It's a theme throughout the entire house. She's pulls it off cohesively and tactfully. But you know it's taken a few years of careful buying and crafting.

So I wanted to get start on my own festive decorations.

Well, ladies and gentleman, we are 1 season and 4 major holidays down this year and I have no evidence of celebration except for some dollar store plastic Easter eggs and a half made Valentine garland (I started on it the day before. I didn't finish).

Even without my wanted holiday decor, I was determined to make something of Easter this year.

Something I've discovered this year is that the Browns are not a very tradition-y bunch. I can ask Ben all I want about his favorite childhood traditions and his answer is always the same: "I don't know. We didn't have many."

Sad! Right?

More and more I'm realizing I have to be the one who plans the tradition AND the one who gets excited about it. Otherwise, it's not going to happen.

And I think Ben really does like it. He just doesn't think to make it happen.

So for Easter, in a determined frenzy, I made sure that we had some fun Easter-y activities planned.

We colored Easter eggs!

Ben drew my face on one. Doesn't it look exactly like me?

We started dyeing at 10:50pm (yeah...whoops...). Ben finished
at 10:55. Me? 11:22. I did 2 eggs. Ben did 4.  You do the math.

See the rainbow egg on the left? That's mine. I rock.
32 minutes well spent? I think so!
 So my family's tradition is that my dad (the Easter bunny), hides our candy-which is usually just a candy bar. When we wake up, we set out to find our treat. Sometimes it's hidden easily-like in the piano bench. But more often than not, he'll hide it in some impossibly elaborate place. One time, he cut out pages in the middle of a phone book and slipped the candy in the little square that was created. Another time, he put the candy down a vent with fishing line. Yeah. Sometimes our searching trickles into Monday.

Last year, Ben and I were engaged and living in Cedar for Easter. I hid his candy in the freezer, which I thought would be a dead give away. To put it simply and without making my husband sound like a whiner, Ben didn't like it very much (maybe that's where his lack of enthusiasm for traditions comes from. Hmmm...).

This year, I still hid his candy. He still put up a bit of a stink.

Luckily, he found his candy in a matter of minutes.
Otherwise, there's no telling what he would've done;)

Our yummy Easter dinner.
Ben made fun of me for taking a picture of our dinner, but this was a big deal for me! It was my first time ever making a roast AND making a dinner with so many components. Turns out roast is easy. It's the gravy that takes some getting used to. Anyhow, it was delicious and I was really proud of myself. So make fun all you want.

Anyhow, I hope everyone else had a Happy Easter! Tell me about your Easter traditions! One of my friends has an Easter Spider. Weird, but totally awesome.

2 comments:

Our Family said...

First off, Ben looks great in your cute apron! :) Second, way to go with getting your traditions started - don't let him kill the fun, he loves it and he knows it.
Your rainbow egg is a masterpiece and your dinner looks amazing!
You guys are so fun and I love seeing the pictures of your place and thining to myself, "I've been there!" :)

whitney said...

Love the rainbow egg! I'm impressed!

I had to laugh at Ben's response. That's totally what Spencer says when I ask him about holiday traditions. Maybe it's a guy thing?

Tell Ben I feel his candy-finding pain. I'm sure you remember how much of a kill-joy I am whenever we're at your parents' house for Easter. What can I say? I hate looking for things that are hard to find.

You can rest assured, however, that Spencer gleefully hides eggs and candy in increasingly difficult spots each year. This year's winner? Ezra's candy in the sugar bucket.