Wednesday, October 12, 2011

BYU vs. SUU: Sensitivity

I've been thinking more and more about BYU since I have recently had to start looking seriously at graduate schools. BYU is a tempting option. That's mostly because it's outrageously cheap in a world of very, very expensive grad schools.

And the more I think about BYU, the more I see the differences of BYU and SUU. And there are a lot. One example:

I attend SUU. And I know that yesterday, October 11th, is National Coming Out Day.

How many people at BYU knew that?

And did BYU provide an actual closet set up in the middle of campus for people to "come out" of?

Slightly Incredibly Astronomically different?


I rest my case.

6 comments:

Tairsa said...

Haha, wow. One, I did not know that, and two, there was enough people that the school provided a closet? Ok...

Sarah Jane said...

Ah, I did not know this, Kim. That's a cool idea though, a closet on campus. A very literal interpretation of "coming out." But you obviously know that.

whitney said...

Yep. definitely different.

A said...

I love NCOD! Cute picture too. Did you come out as straight? I did last year, it was a huge disappointment to everyone who thought they had me pegged as bi. bahaha.

Kelsey said...

I knew!! That's all.

Jessica Grosland said...

I absolutely did not know that. But I think the celebration your campus held was creative.

BYU did have a large celebration of Pi Day (3.14, March 14th) though. They had pie eating contests and pi recitation contests, and my heart rejoiced.

So maybe your school is more thoughtful towards homosexuals, and my school is more thoughtful towards geeks. (*shrugs*)