Thursday, June 2, 2011

Reason for Never Posting #1

I decided to split this post into two parts so that you can all receive maximal information. Isn't that nice of me?

And Reason #1 for Never Posting is: My lovely new job.

The summer job that I secured (despite my lack of dreadlocks) is being a hippie.

Okay there's a little more to it, I guess.

I'm working for a program that backpacks with at risk youth. My schedule is 8 days on and 6 days off. And I'm not kidding you. Pretty much everyone I work with drives a Subaru, likely lives in that Subaru, and eats granola. Hippies. I rest my case.

So far, I've worked 2 shifts. The first shift I was working with a group of 5 girl students. The second shift was with 10 boys. Unusually, pretty much the only difference between the girls and boys is that the girls had tampons in their supply bags and boys swore more. That's all.

When I decided to write this post, I didn't know exactly what to write. I mean, the program has lots of different aspects and particulars and I don't really want to go into all of those. It'd be boring for everyone involved. So instead I decided to give you my favorite quotes from my last 2 shifts. These kids are a little ridiculous and they sometimes say some really smart things. I thought I'd share, so that you all can enjoy my work like I do. Here are my favorites:


"I just want to maintain my perplexion." --Sarah, while washing her face.

Brian: Okay, here's an unfair triv (for explanation's sake: if there's an extra divide of food, someone will ask a trivia question and whoever gets the right answer gets the extra div of food). What body part is the horn on a narwhal?
Max: Lord of the Rings!

"I don't really need goals." --Thomas.

"I am starving. I've been starving since breakfast!" --Jackson, while eating his second bowl of food for dinner.

"It just has really smart humor." --Liam, about Hot Rod.

Brian: Here's an unfair triv. Where did Andrew Jackson get the scar on his cheek?
Liam: Who's Andrew Jackson. Wait, he's an actor, right?

"Nobody likes the Yankees except for Yankees fans." --Max

"I want people to know that I party. I want people to know that I fist pump." --Ryan, while discussing stereotypes that might be formed by the music we listen to.


So there you have it folks. That is, in a nutshell, the beauty of my job this summer. Don't worry-I'll keep ya'll posted.

5 comments:

Jessica Grosland said...

That sounds like a great job for you. Those kids sound pretty hilarious. (I especially like the Unfair Triv stuff. It's a good way to divvy out food.)

Kelsey said...

oh, hippies. I know them well. I'm sure you are whipping those youth into shape in the great outdoors like a pro. let's play this weekend. I will text you.

Zachary said...

I weep for the future of humanity.

whitney said...

Ahh...thanks for the smile, Kim. I definitely needed it today :)

Taylor said...

Greatness. :) Those kids need a couple of history and english classes while on this trip.