Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Resolutions

On Christmas Day, as all of us children and my parents were having a lovely chat with my missionary brother, Kyle, my dear mother decided to tell us her New Year's resolution.

"My only wish for this year is that two of my kids will get married."


She said it simply, as if she were a child relaying her wants to Santa Clause.

Like we wouldn't notice.

Or like we wouldn't have to guts to tell her no.

But seriously?

Two of us?

Married?

Ew.

I mean, let's think about this here. There are 7 of us kids in the fam. The oldest is Spencer. He's already married. Leslie, the youngest is only 14...so I don't think my mom was referring to her. That leaves 5.

As for me, I personally don't want to get married right now. Trust me, I support marriage. It's a lovely institution (after all, I want to be a marriage and family therapist...you know, keeping families together).
But I'm only 20.
  • I have yet to make out in a library.
  • I haven't thought up my dream wedding.
  • I'm kinda thinking about a mission...
  • I don't want children currently (best way to prevent=abstinence!).
  • I've got stuff I wanna do...vagueness is my friend here (that marriage would probably most definitely hinder).
  • I promised myself I wouldn't get married at least until Kyle gets home.
I've got other reasons. You are allowed to imagine those reasons at your leisure.

Ahem. Moving on.

Eric's already tried the marriage thing. Didn't really work out. Might be awhile before round 2 comes along.

Isaac...well....he's just Isaac.

Heather just barely got back from her mish. Give her some time.

So, as you all can see, this leaves Kyle. And, if we look at this logically, there is a slight chance that Kyle could be married by the end of the year. He gets back in the middle of December. That leaves him like 2 weeks to find a girl and tie the knot. That's not too outrageous, right? After all, we are in Utah.

Slight chance with Kyle.
Glimmering ray of possibility with Heather.

I suppose all I can say, I mean, even with how much I love my mom (lots and lots), is:

My goal for this year...is to not get married.

Thus becoming an old maid in the state of Utah.

A dream I have always wanted to accomplish.

5 comments:

Breanna said...

WAHOO!! YEAH! GO KIM! Fulfill those dreams!
I really like your new years goal.
Does your mom know about it? :)

Taylor said...

I love it!!! Next year us old maids can party together! I just heard that my cousin is engaged (BYU-I, who knew?) and she is a year younger than me. I'm aghast and slightly terrified. I feel too young, and then she... wow. I will most assuredly be ring-less at the end of this year, count on it. SUU isn't too terribly focused on marriage...right?

Zachary said...

Your Mom and my Mom should talk so she can learn the disappointment of not getting her New Year's wishes. :)

Sarah Jane said...

Bwahaha I love your posts. If my mom said that, that would mean Liz and Mark would have to get married, because I sure as heck won't get married.
Haha I love this.

Oh Kyle.

whitney said...

Ahhahahaha. I love that Mom's random comment made the blog. Even in the best of years 2 kids actually *tied the knot* married is more then a little ambitious. Especially considering that a mere month previously, she informed you she wanted you to date your future spouse for at least a year...just sayin'

Although, in defense of marriage, I do want to say one can quite easily make out in a library and do stuff while sealed in holy matrimony. As for the kids...despite the example Spence and I set, they don't automatically come once you hop the broom. Just in case you were wondering.