Friday, November 19, 2010

Tsk. Tsk.

I have officially become a terrible person.

Actually, I am kind of in the middle. Half of me thinks that I am truly awful.

The other half could care less.

And so, here I am in this torn state, unsure of what I am and what is to become of me. Let me explain.

Ever since I was 14 my parents forced encouraged me to buy my own stuff.
Clothes
Shoes
Accessories
etc.
(pretty much everything I wanted
minus food and toothpaste,
you know, the basics).


Which I think is actually a pretty good idea. I appreciated my stuff a lot more than if my parents were forking out everything to me. I'm really grateful they did this.

And for the past 6 years (since this work-and-pay-for-it-yourself dealio started) I have been doing a freaking good job. If I do say so myself. I mean,
  • I've kept a steady job since I turned 16.
  • I studied my face off to get a good scholarship for school.
  • I've shopped all the sales and bargains and thrift shops (although, this is more about me loving the outrageously awesome deal I'm getting...)
  • I mooched lots of food and toilet paper off my parents whenever I returned from school for a weekend.
  • I lovingly take and use hand-me-downs.
Really. I do a good job. And, currently, I'm doing pretty okay in the financial department (let's just not consider how much grad school will cost...).

My frugality is working out for me so far.

Except that a month or two ago I saw these boots.


And I really wanted them.

I tried to stifle my desire to have them. Really. I tried hard (you know, minus searching the internet for them more than a handful of times to gaze at their beauty).

One side of me was saying:
"You don't really need those."
"What if you want to spend that money elsewhere."
"HA. forty bucks? I'm waaay too cheap for that."
"Material wants. Material wants."
"This will make you happy for a day...but will it make you joyous for a lifetime?" (okay, I didn't really think that one...my thoughts aren't that righteous)

But the other side was thinking:
"Oooooh...so cute."

And, somehow, the other side won. So. I bought the boots. Technically, they were only $39.95. I didn't even have to pay for shipping and handling.

And while a fraction of me is still thinking the money could have/ should have gone somewhere a lot more useful, the other part has already fallen madly in love.

Just don't tell my dad. He'd be terribly disappointed.

4 comments:

Zachary said...

As one who impulsively buys...oh so many things he probably shouldn't have, all I can say is, "Moderation in all things". That applies to both splurging on our material desires...and our conservative sides.

Be strong Kim! Be strong!

A said...

Testify! I bought these in grey wool. Hard to justify, but worth it.

Jessica Grosland said...

Cute shoes, Kim. :)

You know me, my impulsive buys are always for food. Remember when we used to "hang out" at the mall, and you guys would be in the dress stores trying things on, and I'd just keep saying, "Hey! Let's go to the food court!"

So I guess in the end, you'll be well-dress old ladies, and I'll be so fat I have to roll myself around the house.

But which of us will be happier?

whitney said...

Don't worry...your secret will be safe with me ;)

Ooo, this post totally reminds me of my converses my freshman year of college. They were $40 buck and I just HAD to have them. Know what? I still have them and wear them.

Sometimes WANT really is the same thing as NEED (but don't tell my husband that, also known as your dad's son :P)

ps-LOVE the shoes. You brought them, right?